Wednesday 27 October 2010

a short field trip to Sólheimajökull



on Saturday Anna, Thelma and I went to my glacier, Sólheimajökull to have a look at it. we measured the retreat/melting since last year, which is 74 meters. BUT, there is another place where the glacier has retreated around 180 meters due to heavy calving.  This can only be measured from aerial photographs.

I found some really old photographs of my glaciers, from 1910. This is a great improvement and good evidence of where the glacier was in the old times and how large it was!

i will probably fly to Norway on Friday and from there to Buenos Aires to board the ship I am going to sail to Antarctica with. My father will join me on the trip, and will be celebrating his 70 year birthday aboard, away from all the stress and party at home;0)



No comments: