Wednesday 9 February 2011

Longyearbyen, Svalbard in 40 hours...

Sunday morning i went to Longyearbyen on Svalbard to attend a job interview at the UNIS (university of Svalbard) working with logistics. the interview was on Monday morning, so i spent Sunday walking a bit around, but as the sun is still below the horizon it was pretty dark. i managed to find my way to the pub where i got some dinner and a beer and met some of my friends who happened to drop by and found my in a corner...

On my way back home i felt a bit sick (no not the beer), and after returning to my room i had to make a "call" into the toilet and this kept on all night, before i finally got some hours of sleep. not the best way of starting a job interview, but i managed to make my selves decent and talked to the people for 1 1/2 hours. we were only 2 out of 41 applicants who got an interview.

The rest of the day i spent by visiting old friends at UNIS and at my former work place of Spitsbergen travel, before walking home and having a yogurt and a roll for dinner. Line and Tessa, whom i guided with in Antarctica visited my for waffles and tea in "peisestuen" at the hotel and later on my friend Endre came by too.

Tuesday morning i had a conversation with one from NP about another job, then i had lunch with my friend Hilde at Rabalder, the new culture house in town and then it was time to fly to Oslo and my parents. on the plane i met Gro, who i was guiding with in Antarctica and we could spend some hours in Tromsö eating and talking before our planes departed...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Arctic/Antarctic world is a small one, no? Hope you are feeling better now - and that the job interview(s) produce the desired results.