Friday 15 April 2011

I got a job!!!!

In the end of March i flew to Svalbard again for two job interviews, one as a logistican at the Norwegian Polar Institute and one as an exploration geologist in a coal mining company. It is not every day that i fly alost 10 000 km for some job interviews;0)

Yesterday I got the good news that i have been offered a job as an exploration geologist at SNSK (Store Norske Spitsbergen Grubekompagni) on Svalbard. I will be doing everything from drilling cores, planning drill sites, logging cores, working with GIS, office work etc. all  of this in an Arctic region.
This will be great and I am sure I will learn a lot...

My new job will start May 15th, so now I have to pend the time wisely. I have to do some packing and sorting out what to bring with me, maybe buy an apartment here in Iceland, sell my car etc...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YESSSS!!!!! I have been checking every so often for signs of news, glad to hear it - it will be quite a different experience from studying glaciers, but hey - :))

Bjarki Friis said...

yes it will be different from the glaciers, although the mines are situated below some glaciers and some of the field work will be conducted traveling over glaciers. but there will be a lot of new things for me to learn and a good way to widen my horizon;0)
A t least i will be able to use my knowledge in GIS when we are mapping the coal seams and planing the drilling campaigns.
i very much look forward to come back to Svalbard and show more of it to Anna...