Monday 2 May 2011

Polar bear again again...

This morning a polar bear was sighted by some fishermen in the north east of Iceland, close to the Hornstrandir area. The coast guard helicopter was called to the area and brought the police, people from the ministry of environment and others. After searching for the animal it was found in difficult terrain and foggy area. It was then decided to shot the bear, as the risk of loosing it was to great - this could then leed to the bear travelling to habited areas...

While all of this was going on I decided to go and have a final look at my glacier, before I leave. The weather was great, between +13 to +18 degrees, so I could walk around in t-shirt and enjoy a little bit of field-work. The glacier is still getting smaller, but it will exist for many years to come...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor old bear - I understand the need to keep it away from people...I wonder if the ice situation off the coast of Greenland is making it hard for them to find food? Or did it just float in on some ice? I know they show up occasionally in Iceland. Perhaps you will find some on Svalbard....glad you had a chance to visit your glacier again, but as you say, it will still be there for awhile.